THE LATEST ON CANCER
Anuska Viljoen BVSc(Hons) VetMFHom MRCVS
The cause of cancer is multifactorial, not owing to a single problem or incident.
It is the end result of exposure to many different carcinogens and the body’s inability to defend itself from these carcinogens. It is obvious therefore that there are no single MAGIC BULLETS that will kill off and cure cancer. What we need is a multifactorial approach to stabilise the body’s defence mechanisms as well as decreasing the exposure to potential carcinogens. Latest evidence shows that Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy can promote the spread of a cancer which has not yet spread, as well as cause cancer to begin in healthy tissue, thereby increasing the risk of a different cancer developing. Problem is that sometimes these drastic measures are the only way for us to buy time for the multifactorial approach to take root. In these rare circumstances, it is best to use them only if absolutely necessary. In most cases there is enough time to avoid their use.
To decrease toxic and carcinogenic stress we must:
1) Avoid smoke and smoky environments
2) Avoid food colourants and preservatives
3) Change to a more natural diet high in natural cancer fighting nutrients
4) Avoid toxic buildup from processed food, including fried, pickled, smoked foods, dry and tinned animal foods and most treats
5) DO NOT VACCINATE – your animal has a compromised immune system and the vaccination will probably not be effective anyway
6) Cut down on unnecessary toxins, such as anti-parasitic (flea, worm preps etc.) and conventional drugs. Only use what is absolutely necessary – discuss with your Veterinarian
7) Take moderate, regular exercise, do not over-excercise
8) Increase dietary fibre – according to your Veterinarians instructions (oats – are a good source)
9) Avoid foods with a high glyceamic index (i.e. sugars and carbohydrates)
Feed good quality, fresh foods, which are still brimming with their natural enzymes. These enzymes are important for the maintenance of a healthy immune system, and allow food to be broken down and processed by the body in a more appropriate and efficient way, thereby producing less harmful by-products and absorbing more actively useable nutrients for use in the body for growth and repair. Home cooking partially breaks down these enzymes, and processing (usually higher temperatures than home cooking) totally destroys them. For this reason it is best to feed RAW. Where possible feed organic food, as this has the lowest levels of hormones, antibiotics, pesticides and other substances that could build up in the system and put strain on an already compromised immune system. Where the liver is compromised, it is best to avoid red meat proteins. I recommend alternating Fish, Chicken, Turkey, Tofu, Rabbit and Cottage Cheese.
The best anticancer vegetables are the highly coloured ones.
The following foods are well known for their cancer protective substances:
Brassicas (cabbage, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussel sprouts)
Spinach , Bok Choy, Swiss Chard
Red, orange and yellow peppers
Berry Fruits: Bilberry, blackcurrant, blackberry, elderberry, chokeberry
Red Algae / Spirulena
Fermented Soya products – e.g. Tofu
Add good quality, high biovailability supplements as follows:
Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement incl.Trace minerals: Cu, Zn, Se, Mn
Essential Fatty Acids – esp. Omega-3 (FLAX OIL)
Methyl Group Donors: (BETAINE)
Specific Immune Stimulants:
Mushrooms: Ganoderma (Reishi), Meitake
Others: Ginseng, Green Tea, Turmeric, Red clover:
Milk Thistle Extract: